Our Mission: “The Arc of Washington-Holmes Counties mission is to focus on levels of support that provide adults with developmental disabilities with a purpose; that recognizes individuality and worth, and promote self-determination and community involvement”.
History and Purpose: The Arc of Washington and Holmes Counties, Inc. is a local volunteer group of parents, group living home operators, friends, concerned citizens, educators, and professionals in the field of disabilities. On October 21, 1974, the agency was formally incorporated by the Secretary of State’s Office as a non-profit organization under the laws of the State of Florida.
Since then, we have seen many changes and much progress as the agency has constantly strived toward the goal of improving the quality of life for the developmentally disabled without regard to race, sex, national origin, religion, age, social status, or degree of disability. It is the sincerest desire of all whom work with the agency that each individual be given every opportunity to meet their highest potential in life. It is to this ideal that Arc Washington-Holmes Counties, Inc. is dedicated.
This agency is a member of both the state (Arc Florida) and the national (Arc United States) associations; sharing goals and working with the state and country. A General Statement of Purpose and Intent is as follows:
- Promote the general welfare of all persons with developmental disabilities.
- Strive to initiate new areas for involvement in the life of the community.
- Provide training for individuals with intellectual and developmental disability.
- Encourage beneficial research and legislation for individuals with developmental disabilities.
- Actively seek opportunities to serve as advocates for the developmentally disabled both on an individual basis and corporately.
- Offer guidance to families and friends of persons with developmental disabilities and assistance wherever help is needed.
It is by these principles that we are continually motivated and dedicated to those we are privileged to serve.